Local wedding photographers
Image courtesy of: SnapKnot - Local Wedding Photographers

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Toys, Knick Knacks and a Dry Sink






This past weekend I went to garage sales with my Aunt. It was the most fun I have ever had going to garage sales! I don’t usually go to a lot of garage sales but the neighborhood they were in was a place that I knew I would find some good deals. At the first house I found a picture frame with spots for four photos at the top and corkboard on the lower half, I thought to myself, “Wow! This is great, the first house too!” It only got better from there- I found a walker to use at my mom’s house for Brad, in almost perfect condition for $5, a never-been-used Crème Brulee set, a decorative print in a frame, clothes for Brad, Indiana Jones mint condition DVD set for David, an Aladdin DVD for me, a perfect condition “sit ‘n spin” for Brad for when he’s older, a vintage Fisher Price cash register for Brad for 50 cents, and the best deal of all- a dry sink for $5!! The dry sink is, by far, the best deal I have ever found.


The funny part of this story is- When I looked in my wallet I didn’t have anything smaller than a 10 dollar bill, that is what I handed the man and I didn’t say “I’ll need $5 back.” I was hoping he would notice and go get the change. I am not very good at bargaining at garage sales. Just ask my friend, Lindsay, and about why she didn’t get her antique dresser for $50 and instead paid $75. You might be thinking, “you didn’t need to bargain, the price was $5” well, I’m not very good at speaking up, I thought “$5 is way too good of a deal and they did put it in the vehicle for me, so if he doesn’t notice it is a ten dollar bill then I won’t say anything." So, my aunt and I went about our way and continued to go through the neighborhood with many twists and turns, all the while I am feeling guilty that I called my husband and asked him if I could bring a $5 dry sink home when I paid $10. Well, thankfully this neighborhood was confusing and about a half hour later my aunt and I went past that same house and that man happened to be in the middle of the road because he had just helped someone put something in their trunk. He noticed the vehicle and I waved and he recognized me and flagged us down. I opened the window and he said “Did you give me a 10 instead of 5?!” I said “yea, I believe I did!” Then his wife ran down the driveway and gave me back a five dollar bill! I thought that was so neat!
The dry sink will need work- the board laying slanted on the top will need to be nailed at the front again and my husband will need to re-finish it, but it is worth every cent of five dollars!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job with the garage sales. It's always wonderful to find things for so much cheaper then a store.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails