
Today was my first attempt at cooking steel cut oats. It did not go as planned. The water boiled over and
So, this confirms my fears that I am quite incapable of boiling anything starchy for more than 10 minutes (the time it takes to boil pasta) as this has happened to me with brown rice, too.
Any suggestions, maybe slow cooker recipes? Does anyone else have these problems with oatmeal and rice?
I'm going to have some toast now with peanut butter and honey. I think I can handle a toaster. ;-)











First, I would use a metal pot if you have one. Next, I for sure would use a bigger pot. It's probably boiling over because you have it in such a small pot. How low are you cooking it, and what else do you have in it? If it's milk, it will have a tendency to boil over, and you will just have to watch it super closely. If it's water, it won't be as likely to boil over.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the above comment - metal and bigger. You also need to let it slow boil on a lower heat setting. We have steel cut oats almost every morning! My best friend is very successful at making them in a crock pot, but I have never tried.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the advice! Yes, I do have bigger and metal pots but they were dirty from dinner the night before. ;-) I just had water and oats in there. I will try tomorrow morning with a bigger pot and I will keep the flame really low.
ReplyDeleteWe seem to have similar cooking abilities. Totally unhelpful information for you, but you know you're not alone! :) Hang in there, and be sure to stay away from the deep fryer!
ReplyDeleteGood luck tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteI highly recommend making it in a crockpot overnight. I just love doing this - and the kitchen smells SO yummy in the morning when it's ready (plus, it gives me an excuse to sleep in just a little longer while my 12 year old enjoys her oatmeal!).
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing recipe that I personally love (though my kids always request that I leave out the fruit as it plumps when it cooks and they don't like it!). I have added fresh apples and they are YUMMY. Also, I've added brown sugar to the mix as well.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html
Good luck! :)
Thanks everyone for the advice! I did make a recipe in the crock pot this morning that I loved! Kami, i will have to look up that recipe and try that one, too. :-)
ReplyDelete