Local wedding photographers
Image courtesy of: SnapKnot - Local Wedding Photographers

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Family Time and Fixin' It Up

I meant to write this post a week ago. The reason I haven't is partly, no time and partly, sometimes-slow Internet connection.

The week before last David was on vacation. It was nice having him home.
We went for a couple walks at my favorite walking spot.


Brad can get restless being cooped up in the stroller so he was playing with my old phone that has an mp3 player on it, and then he wanted me to hold him.
I think this was a day he didn't want to nap so we just decided to go for a walk and he ended up napping when we got home.


He wanted to hold Dada's hand while I pushed the stroller with my left hand and took a picture with my right hand.


David's vacation was not all relaxing though.
Our house is old, as in 80 years, but rumor has it- it was a one-room schoolhouse before it was made into a house.
In fact, my great-grandfather said it was a school house as did a man that goes to our church who grew up in the area where we live. He said his older sister when to the school and it closed the year before he started going.
That being said- old houses usually need some kind of work or another.
David has done a lot to our basement already, one of those things is he had a concrete truck come and he, his dad and brother put concrete in the whole back part of the basement (where my washer and dryer are) because it was just a dirt floor.


The week before last David got sheet rock to put in the ceiling.
It was just exposed insulation.
Oh, and see that back wall? That's bedrock- not concrete- pretty cool, huh?
Makes me think of the kid's song, "And the wise man built his house upon the rock, the wise man built his house upon the rock..." :-)


Also, there was not enough lighting so he put some light fixtures up.


Thankfully he could use his brother's sheet rock lift so he could work by himself.


I am already so thankful to have more light- and also not have to worry about the spiders that made their nests of web in the insulation!
Those big water spiders really creeped me out!


He still has the other half of the basement to sheet rock but I am very thankful for the half- my laundry and freezer part- that does have a ceiling now.


Thanks, honey for working so hard during your "vacation" and making my laundry area brighter and safer (from the spiders!). :-)

5 comments:

  1. Big ups to your husband working on the basement. And I love the shot of your boy holding dads hand, such a sweet and tender moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what "vacations" are like when you have an old house!! We bought a 100 year old home years ago and fixed it up. It felt like the work was never done. However, my husband recently built our home a few years ago..and..ahem...it's not completely done either! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. fixing up a house is hard work but worth it! fun family pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea your house used to be a school house! At least I don't remember you tell me that. :) How nice that David is finishing the basement! I would SOOO love that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures from the walk, especially the one of you holding your baby boy. So adorable, you can just see the love!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails