I just recently read this eBook that Darlene Schacht gave for free to bloggers who would post a review.
I LOVED this eBook!
I have procrastinated in writing my review because I know that the name alone might be a turn-off to some people. It is becoming rarer in our culture for a wife to be a stay-at-home mom or wife. If women don't choose a career, sometimes we are even looked down on. This book is not just for stay-at-home wives though, it is an encouragement to all wives.
I am a stay-at-home mom and especially loved the encouragement in this book.
I'll start off by using an example that Candace Cameron Bure wrote in her Forward at the beginning of the book. She gives the example of a kitchen that uses an executive chef and a sous-chef, who is the second in command to the executive chef. There cannot be two executive chefs, there can only be one, but the sous-chef is there to fulfill the duties the executive chef cannot. This is a good example of how submission is meant to be in a home, between a husband and wife.
I think that submission has become a "dirty word" in our society, but it is not for me. I am submissive to my husband (not perfect at this all of the time, that is for sure), but I have no problem with this. This does not mean that he orders me around and I cower at his feet; he is the leader of our home and our household runs best when this natural order, of David in command, and myself second, takes place.
I loved the first chapter in Darlene's book where she explains to you the "heart" of her message. She explains what first motivated her to write the book and states, " ...our role as help meet is being diminished by popular opinions that would rather scoff at good family values than face the truth of God's word." She then quotes the Bible verse, Ephesians 5:22-24 that talks about submission.
Her book is a wonderful encouragement to women, to be the best help meet we can for our husbands, and stand up for the family values that build up wonderful families.
I loved that Darlene's book was in two sections. The first section was an encouragement and reminder for different areas in our lives we should work on. She wrote about: disciplining yourself, priorities, time management, being selfish, putting too much pressure on ourselves, making our home warm and inviting, taking time to take care of ourselves, joyfully serving our family, respecting our husbands, and so on. I loved this section. I found it to be so encouraging and the topics really touched my heart of what I longed to work on in myself. She also gives some verses that are meant to be encouraging and suggests different sections to place them around our house.
She also writes about handling conflict in marriage and working on inner beauty. There are letters in her book that readers have sent her and she shows her responses, too. There are scripture verses laced throughout, so that you can see what she is saying is backed up by scripture. I found Part 1 of her book to be filled with a wealth of truth and scriptures!
Part 2 of her book was fun to read! It's filled with practical application (I LOVE practical application). She gives you tips and tricks on organizing your home and keeping it that way. She also gives you lists and an example of a housekeeping schedule. I thought each chapter was easy to follow, but not overwhelming. I found all of her examples to be something I could see myself (and very much want to be) doing. I will definitely read this book again and make notes for myself.
I was excited about this book when I saw the title and read a little about it, so I was very grateful she gave me a copy to read. This review has been my own opinion of her book. I loved it and I encourage anyone who reads this to get a copy and be encouraged!
Here is a link to Darlene's blog: http://time-warp-wife.blogspot.com/
And this is the link to her eBook (also available in print, I may have to buy a copy of that!): http://time-warp-wife.blogspot.ca/2010/11/good-wifes-guide.html










Thank you so much! That was an awesome review! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!
ReplyDeleteWow, this sounds like a really great book, I will definitely have to read it!! :)
ReplyDelete