Local wedding photographers
Image courtesy of: SnapKnot - Local Wedding Photographers

Sunday, October 11, 2009

My Natural Baby

I have been interested in cloth diapers since I had my little baby boy. There are a couple reasons for this: I have an aversion to chemicals and it always bothered me that they smelled so "chemically," and, just recently I learned from MckMama(mycharmingkids.net) that they have chlorine in them; the other reason is, I am not a huge environmentalist, but I do happen to give the environment a thought now and then, and it just seems sad that thousands of diapers go in landfills, probably every day. So, after having my baby, and telling my husband of my interest in it, and going back and forth on the issue, I finally decided to invest in cloth diapers. I purchased them from Imse Vimse, apparently it means "Itsy Bisty" in Swedish.
I bought four contoured organic terry cloth diapers and two diaper covers. I also bought a pack of diaper liners on the days I think it might be a particularly messy diaper. Well, we tried them on and used them all up on Saturday, two in the morning, one disposable at lunch because we were at my mom's and didn't have another cloth, and then after his nap, two in the afternoon up until bath time. There were no leaks, they are quite bulky so I didn't expect this, they definitly make his bum look bigger. I did notice that he had a little trouble climging the stairs, and when he sat he tottered a bit due to the bulkiness of the diaper. I think they work fine, though. I am glad we go them, any chance I can get to let my little boys bottom be free from plastic and chemicals makes me feel much better. I am going to get a bucket to soak them in with a little vinegar (which neutralizes the urine) until they go in the washing machine. Also, as another tip, I might have to use Desitin more because the urine sits right against his skin until I change him (which is promptly when I notice he needs a change) as oposed to the disposable diapers that keep the urine away from the skin. I will probably only use these at home, and on days that I am completely frazled, I will probably use disposables. We shall see how this goes, we have only tried them one day so far. On a side note, my mom told me that cloth diapers were a pain and that they leaked, but when she saw this cloth diaper she did say it looked different than the older ones. She was holding Brad when he was wearing his diaper yesterday and she asked him "are you a natural baby?" Well, I hope I can keep him as natural as possible. I definitly have more to say about all-natural personal and cleaning products, and organic foods, but I will leave that to another post.....this one was wordy enough!

1 comment:

  1. He is looking cute in his organic diapers! Way to go...I have thought about it but Matt is not crazy about the start up cost.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails