Before and After is a photo editing blog hop hosted by the talented Monica at Pixel Perfect Blog. To see her edit and others, click on the button above.
I have admired the old farm equipment photos that Lindsay at Snap Shots of Happiness and Julie from The Peanut Gallery...Exit Here, have had on their blogs.
I had been wondering where I would find something to take a picture of. My husband's family has some at their house but it is not in a very attractive spot.
Last week I was taking care of my great-aunt and uncle's animals while they were away. I am at their house usually once a week anyway, cleaning for them. Well, one day I realized what had been in front of my face the whole time-
they have an old rake in front of their pond.
I got a few pics of it and I was looking forward to editing.
I first used a preset from Preset Heaven and then I "punched" it with Lightroom's preset.
Next I opened it in Gimp and put a couple textures over it from
Coffee Shop Textures.
Finally, I rounded the corners.













I think it's great! If you do play with it, what do you think about warming it up a bit? No? I love it the way it is though!!
ReplyDeleteLooks great! Very vintage-y. :O)
ReplyDeleteooh, it is lovely. I love the antiquey look of it! Great job!
ReplyDeleteAZ Mamma- I do think it needs to be warmed up a little. Last night my editing programs were acting slow and I did want to warm it up in Lightroom but gave up on it after I finally figured out how to export it from Gimp.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a great edit! Very nice!
ReplyDeleteOh I love this! I like Arizona's idea of warming it up a tad, but the way it is now is awesome too! Great edit.
ReplyDeleteGreat edit. looks like a postcard!
ReplyDeleteLove this, I agree vintage is the right word for this one.
ReplyDeleteI really like the texture! Cool photo!
ReplyDeleteI'm really interested in Lightroom. Do you like it a lot?
I think the edit is wonderful. I would frame it. And I'm going to go against the popular vote and say keep it on the cool side, it gives the feeling of winter and cold metal and it really keeps the photo in context. If you start warming, you might end up with an orange juice cast to the snow as well. I love it just as it is!
ReplyDeleteHeather...I love it. As far as the warming it up...you could have used a warmer texture layer too. That would probably do the trick! Do you have an email you could share with me? Mine is in my profile. I'd love to send you a few Gimp links that were helpful to me.
ReplyDeleteYou always have such cool subject matter. Great job again!!
ReplyDeletewell, i love it!!! the shot is fantastic and i love finding things like this!! nice!
ReplyDeleteI like it =)
ReplyDeletehtp://theflammes.blogspot.com
I think it's perfect! I agree with Tricia it looks like a postcard!
ReplyDeleteooo, great shot and edit! i love it!
ReplyDeleteDoes your stove have all those handprints all over it? I was reading your blog the other day and looking at all your pictures. I still say your's look way better than mine. Other than the recent tutu pictures, I still continue to just use Picasa b/c I just can't figure much out about the other. I did just find the presets that were already in it and so that's why the tutu pics look a little different. I'd love to take some sort of class.
ReplyDeleteBrad is getting so big compared to pictures at Christmas. They just get so big so fast. And it makes me sad!
You should change your heading pic to a more springy one, all that snow looks too cold now! haha!
Great!! Love the texture, and would leave it as it, as it gives a nice cold day feel to it!
ReplyDeleteAs always, when it comes to your pictures, color me impressed.
ReplyDeleteI do wish we lived closer. I'm nosing around on the websites you've given me, but I do so much better by watching and doing. I'd love to drop by sometime and chat and see you in action. Sigh. These posts are great for inspiration, though. Thanks, Heather. You have no idea how much I love it when you post stuff like this!
Awesome, Love the texture!
ReplyDeleteI don't even know what you mean by f stop and a faster lens but I do know that, yes, I am using the kit lens. I'm going to have to do some studying. What does a faster lens do for the picture? You can email me if you want to instead of leaving a comment on the blog. Thanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteI always love your edits- I have not mastered texture yet, and your photo's always warrant a second glance.
ReplyDeleteVery vintage! What a fun photo op!
ReplyDeleteGREAT JOB! It does look like a postcard.
ReplyDelete